With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Rockhound State Park, New Mexico

We were both up at 6am this morning, and we managed to fritter away 3 hours before getting away from our campsite. We continued our way up Route 80 until we finally were done with that road and hit Interstate 10 again. Route 80 was a dream to drive, a two lane road with little traffic, so you could just take a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery. And we are finally in New Mexico for real now.

As we drove along Interstate 10, there were signs periodically saying that there was a possiblilty of dust storms, and possibility of limited or no visibility. And sure enough, as it got towards the afternoon, the wind picked up, and the air got hazier and hazier until you could no longer see the surrounding mountains very well. It never got so bad that there was a problem seeing the road or traffic, just bad enough to spoil the scenery. And, I wonder what this does to the air filter in the engine - I think I'll have a look at that in the morning!

We headed for Rockhound State Park (N32 11 15.3, W107 36 44.2) just east of a town named Deming. When we arrived however, our worst fears were met again. A sign on the park entrance said "Campground Full!" We sat for awhile figuring out what to do next, but then I saw there was a visitor center for the park, and I went in there and asked "Is the campground really full?" The answer was, "I think there is one space, number 28. I think the occupants just left so go up and see, and if it's empty, then take it." So here we are, camped in campsite 28!

We've been in New Mexico State Parks before, and it seems a lot of them have this sort of shelter to guard agains't the hot sun. They are very nice, and the fees are really reasonable here.

 

As you can see in the picture above, the campground is just on the base of a mountain. After settling in, and having a snack, we headed up a trail that makes a loop up and across the side of the mountain, and down again. I didn't think there would be any way that Doreen would actually make it up and back, but she did with not much problem at all. We have been walking pretty much every day, and she has definitely gained some stamina, because I don't think she could have done a hike like this when we first started our trip.

I took some pictures from up on this trail, and you can see the side of the mountain is just covered with Prickly Pear Cactus.

The view from the trail was compromised because of the dust in the air (although the dust here was not nearly as bad as on Interstate 10), but it was a nice view nontheless.

 

This shows the campsites. Can anyone see Miss Travelaire? (hint - there's a dump truck parked next door) We had a campfire and cooked potatoes and carrots in aluminium foil, with lots of spices and margarine!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! We finally got caught up on your posts - it had been a few days since we read it. Good to hear of your travels (we sldo enjoy your text messsges) Love2both. T&S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! - You better not get behind reading our blog! Better smarten up!
    Lovey you guys,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh! Guess I am in trouble. I just got all caught up on reading your blog entries too. Sounds like your travels are wonderful and very full. Yay Doreen! so glad to hear that you are able to do the hiking bit now. That is so very good for you. Robert you are doing a great job of writing about your adventures. So interesting and I love all the photos. Not sure why but this is posting as if Roberta said it but it is me, Nina :) Praying for you to continue to have wonderful times and times of great healing as well. Love you both and I will try to keep up better....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go mom! Glad to hear your hiking. That's great! Love you and miss you lots

    ReplyDelete