With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Monday, 31 March 2014

M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

We said goodbye to Louisiana this afternoon, and crossed the Mississippi into Mississippi, to meet the Mississippians. We were intending to stop at Old River Locks campground, which is on the Louisiana side, but when we got there, we found it was just a field with long grass and swampy places. In addition, there were two big trash containers there that were overflowing with bags of trash, and the place was just abuzz with big flies and horseflies. To be sure, there were no other campers around.
 
This region would have been interesting, because the Army Corps of Engineers have a huge installation there which in addition to locks for boats to get down river, there is a whole series of levees to keep the Mississippi from misbehaving. Projects like this seem to be right up their alley. We drove across all this, but they have it arranged so there is no place at all to stop to take any pictures. As we travelled on we went along for 20 or 30 miles on Highway 15, which goes along atop of the levee on the Louisiana side of the river. A picture doesn't give the apperance of depth, but we were going along at quite an elevation above the surrounding land. One gets the impression that eventually, the river will win out, because it really does like to wander.
 
We finally crossed the river at Natchez on a long bridge that looked like it was built several centuries ago. The Mississippi is one big river! No pictures though; we need a small camera that Doreen can use to take pictures out the window!
 
Finally camped at Natchez State Park (N31 35 47.6, W91 12 56.0), which was surprisingly cheap for a state park with water, electricity, laundry and showers. And it is quite nice here. Mississippi does it right; I think I remember that from a previous trip. They do have mosquitoes though that came out as the sun was going down. I wonder how they didn't think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment