With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Left Turn

We went for another walk through the Slabs in the morning, and took two or three pictures. The shoes on the tree seem to be getting over ripe, as there are quite a few of them on the ground.

This picture shows one of the slabs, the reason this is called Slab City. The blue building in the background is the church. It's the only really well kept building the the place. I've been having trouble with getting pictures with my camera that are not quite focused. And I just discovered that I had a switch set on manual focus instead of automatic. Old age is creeping up!

After pulling out of Slab City, we headed south and east through the rich agricultural area, and eventually into the ultimate in desert. We've been by here a few times, and there are always people in dune buggies roaring around all over the place.

A few miles on, we came across an old ghost town, a gold mining town that in it's heday boasted a population of about 500, with school, church, bars, dancing girls etc. You had to walk in about 3/4 mile and back, and I couldn't persuade Doreen to go. Tanner and I went, and I guess Doreen was smart, because we didn't find anything there worth even taking a picture of. Of course I got the exercise and not Doreen!

We finally reached as far south as we could go without getting mixed up with the Mexicans, and turned east out of California and through Yuma, Arizona. We stopped at the visitor center, and went for a walk from there along the edge of the Colorado river. Here's a picture of what"s left of this mighty river after the Californians have taken all the water away, and left a trickle to go across the border into Mexico!

A few miles across Interstate 8 to the town of Wellton, AZ, we stopped for the night at Tier Drop RV Park, which was complete with laundry, showers, swimming pool, and WiFi, the latter, which worked very sporatically. I couldn't get Doreen to go into the pool, but she was available to take the picure! She is sitting out in the picure below crocheting another dish cloth, which she gave to the next door neighbors, a couple from Qualicum, BC.

2 comments:

  1. Refresh our memory about the shoe tree? Trevor said you told him but hr csnt remember & my memory has no recollection of it al all. Tsje care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a local attraction in Slab City

    ReplyDelete