With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Saturday, 22 March 2014

Big Bend National Monument

It's a long way into Big Bend National Monument, like about 70 miles, and the sign at the start of the road said "Campsites may be full". So, we were uneasy going in, but when we got to the visitor center they told us there's lots of room. So here we are at our campsite (N29 10 45.4, W102 57 18.4); it's a cloudy day, but the sun is filtering through the clouds, and the temperature is 91 degrees F (for all you youngsters, who don't know about these things, that's 33 degrees C). It's more humid here than in Arizona and California, so it feels really warm! Doreen actually said this afternoon that she didn't have any pain. (although when I expressed surprise, she admitted that she had a slight head and neck ache - Oh well).

 

Do you remember the Roadrunner cartoons? Well, here's the star of the show. And he's caught a lizard for dinner! Too bad I just got the back end of him - they run so fast it's hard to get anything else.

 

The park isn't anything like we'd imagined - I expected high cliffs, and canyons. I suppose we just aren't in the right place. It is pretty here in it's own way though.

The campground is at Rio Grande Village, right next to the river. Here's Doreen and Tanner trying to sneak across into Mexico! The water's only knee deep apparently.

There's no AT&T here, so I had to walk down to the store in the village, and use the free WiFi to post this blog. The village, by the way, just consists of this one store as far as I can tell.

Just after I had posted this, there was a beautiful sunset, which I photographed with my iPad.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Doreen and Robert! That sunset was amazing! Love all the pictures you are posting, Robert. maybe you could Google the red headed bird and find out what it is. Doreen, keep on enjoying those hikes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could have Googled that bird 'till the cows came home and not found it. It's a Virmillion Fly Catcher. - You shamed me into it, so I asked a park ranger. And sure enough if you Google that, it looks just like it.

    ReplyDelete