We'd had enough of Florida, so we headed Miss Travelaire onto Interstate 95 this morning, put her in autopilot, and headed north right out of Florida, into Georgia. It was nice to be back, and here we are parked at the Visitor Center in Savannah again this evening. There are now a couple of other motorhomes lined up with us. The traffic was fairly heavy the whole way, and trying to push us along faster than we liked, but oddly enough, even though we went smack-dab through the middle of Jacksonville, the traffic there was not bad. After we got settled in here at the Visitor Center, Doreen and I walked down to River Street again, and went to a restaurant for dinner. We sat at a table outside, and watched the activity on the river, and all the people walking up and down the street while we ate. It was a pleasant night, except the no-see-ums began to come out a bit.
Here's a picture I took this morning down by the shore of the campground where we stayed last night across from Cape Canaveral, Florida. It looks like a really nice place here down by the water.
But here is a picture of our actual campsite, where it looks rather drab; it is certainly not among the nicest places we've camped.
That is similar to our impression of Florida in general. Around the edges, by the water, it is probably a beautiful place, at least if you're rich. But in the middle, we didn't find it pretty or inviting. And of all the places we've been, the people here were among the unfriendliest. I was looking forward to seeing Florida, and it was interesting to visit because I had never been here before, execpt for a one night visit at the very northern part of the panhandle on our last trip east. But, we will not likely find our way here again. Mind you, if your name was Terri, you'd probably be thrilled with Disney World! I would never be able to drag Doreen to that place, even if I wanted too.
I was surprised too by the citrus groves in Florida. They looked uncared for mostly, with many trees half dead, and oranges lying rotting on the ground in many places. The citrus trees in California look so healthy in comparison.



Which direction are you headed?
ReplyDeleteWe are heading north. We are planning to see your Aunt Fay in Delaware
ReplyDeleteWe will have to tell terri your comments about Disney World - i'm sure that would be the only place in Florida that she would care about. Tell Doreen that we are sure she would enjoy it as it as it is dubbed 'the happiest place in the world :) Love T&S
ReplyDelete