I slept through the night. Doreen said there was a sweeper (which is quite often the case with Walmarts) going up and down in the parking lot during the night. That's ok, because Doreen can sleep while I drive :) Doreen went in to Walmart and spent another $15 this morning, so our campsite was a little more expensive than I had indicated yesterday! We headed off down Interstate 16 at around 9 am, heading for Savannah. The sky was partly sunny, and stayed that way all the way, although it looked like we almost caught up to the storm by the time we reached Savannah, because you could see menacing clouds in front of us to the east. Interstate 16 isn't the smoothest road we've traveled. Miss Travelaire's joints got a good workout today!
We headed straight for the Visitor Center, having searched out the place on the internet. What a great place they have made here in Savannah for RVs. They have RV spaces behind the visitor center (N32 04 36.3, W81 06 00.6), and for $7 you can park for 24 hours. There were half a dozen RVs here, and I'm surprised there weren't more. If you look hard you can see Miss Travelaire parked among the other RVs. The Visitor Center is right on the edge of the historic downtown area, which itself is pretty close to 1 mile by 1 mile square. So right off, Doreen and I took a walk down along the Savannah River, where there are all sorts of shops (like Government Street in Victoria), and restaurants, and then back up through the historic district. We got several blocks into this walk before I discovered that I had forgotten my camera!!! All in all, we walked 3 miles; easy to measure because the streets are all layed out square.
Later on, I set out myself, just to take a few pictures. It has to be one of the most picturesque places. The historic district is layed out around some 20 plus squares, all with beautiful moss laden trees, and various statues and fountains.
There are iron work railings on various buildings reminiscent of the French Quarter of New Orleans.
And a variety of different arcitecture.
And someone has to show Adrian this picture. I'm not sure if you can read the sign - it says "Forsyth Park Animall Hospital." This is the type of animal hospital you need to build, Adrian.








How did you know that I love roman columns! Perhaps one day.......my clinic will look like this, all I need is a few very wealth, retired professors to spend a lot of money with me.....
ReplyDeleteMmmmmm......Ones that have Sheltie dogs?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete