First thing this morning, all the fishermen came into the park to begin a day's fishing. They all had kayaks, and as they launched each one, they all went off in different directions.
Yesterday, when we arrived here, there was a fellow out fishing with a floatation device that he sat in, but his legs when down into the water, and he had fins on his feet that he could paddle with. I talked to him when he came in; he was quite a friendly fellow. He said he could paddle to keep up with a 30 mph wind (although he said that was quite an effort). Today the wind was about 15 mph, and he had no problem staying in one place.
After playing my banjo for awhile, we set of north through Stockton (I always hate traveling through there. Route 99 is a terrible road, bumpy, always under construction, and full of traffic). And then we turned east to an Army Corps of Engineers campground called Acorn Campground on Hogan Lake (N38 10 23.3, W120 47 32.8). As usual these days, the lake was getting near dried up.
The air is fairly chilly when the sun goes behind a cloud, and it has been cloudy with some sunny intervals this afternoon. We definitely feel the winter as we travel north! But, I lit a campfire. A few days ago we gathered several bags full of pine cones. And these are not just any old pine cones; these are monster pine cones! And they burn like crazy, so they are great for campfires.
And the campfire rings at these Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds are the greatest. They are great for just having a campfire to sit around, because they are low to the ground, and you have a good view of the fire. But they also have a totally easily adjustable grate for cooking, and I cooked a burger tonight. Unfortunately, after getting the fire all going and all, Doreen decided it was too cold and went inside! In fact, since there was no wind tonight, it felt warmer to me than most other nights recently, almost all of which had that cool wind blowing.
I didn't think I'd be able to post this today, because our cell coverage is really poor where we are camped. But I came up the hill from our campsite and it's much better.






Looks like you took a pine cone selfie!!
ReplyDeleteExactly
ReplyDelete