Well, on a clear day at least!
Not too much positive to say about today. We got up, we had a leisurely morning, and then drove north. Within just a very few miles we were out of Pennsylvania and into New York State. Most of the driving for the first 2/3rd of the way was on Interstate, or Interstate-like roads with loads of traffic. And a good part of the way the roads were in bad shape, i.e. bumpy. And the wind was howling, which made Miss Travelaire want to jump into the ditch every few miles.
Along the way, I looked up a New York State Park to camp at. On their internet web site, I was under the impression it would be $15. But when we got there, it ended up over $26, for a site with no water, no sewer, and no electricity. The sites were all just in a field of grass. Now it had rained heavily the day before. So, when we backed into our site, we immediately got stuck. Why did no one but us get stuck? Because everyone else was in the electric sites, which seemed to be on higher ground. So, we ended up with mud all over our back wheels, and had to get the park guy to pull us out with a tractor! The only good thing about this is that he gave us one of the electric sites on dryier ground, so we now have our heater plugged in to keep us warm. There was also a water connection at this site (the only one like this as far as I could see), so I was able to hose the mud off the back wheels.
Now, about being within sight of Canada (almost), we are parked at Four Mile Creek State Campground (N43 16 32.0, W78 59 40.2), which is on the south shore of Lake Ontario, just a bit north of Niagara Falls. Down by the lake, there is a sign showing the buildings of downtown Toronto, and it says you can see them on a clear day across the lake. I guess today wasn't a clear day; I couldn't see a thing. In fact the weather was so poor, I didn't take any pictures either!
Yikes! Sounds like an upsetting time. But you did get a few blessings out of it. Was the evening cold? I will continue to pray for safe travels :-)
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be getting more comments lately so I thought you would like to get another one from anonymous. At least when you get into Canada you won't have to pay a toll at the Burlington bridge. Years ago I was crossing it on our way back from New Haven just after midnight and they were dismantling the toll booths. ("Them" were the days) We will be glad to find you are back in Canada then back in B.C. I'm running out of space. Really poured rain here today. Love David and Muriel.
ReplyDeleteOur stuck in the mud episode wasn't too bad. Could have been bad if it had been later in the day when no help was available.
ReplyDeleteI was sort of expecting a toll on the Burlington bridge, but I guess it's all paid for, and they are honest!