With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Memories, Memories

We walked by the Presbyterian Church, where the family attended when we were young. Our family took up a whole pew. And, in the evening service, when there were only a hand full or less other people besides our family, the singing was pretty pathetic for all but the one Psalm that was sung.
 
By this time it was getting on late in the afternoon, and we decided to head back and have supper. But as we pulled away from the church, we came to Algonquin Avenue, and past the old High School, and up the hill going north. I saw the Airport Road, and thought, Oh! We've got to go up there, so we headed up Airport Hill, and we drove around the airport to Four Mile Lake Road, and past an old property my parents owned, 100 acres on the Lake. It was all bush at the time, except for a small clearing where this old cabin was situated by the road, and another big clearing where they had their garden. (this is a picture of a needlepoint my mother did of the cabin that I happened to have on my laptop) The cabin is long gone now.
 
On the way back I parked Miss Travelaire on the side of the road, and walked in the driveway past where the cabin used to sit, and in to the clearing where my Mom and Dad used to have their big garden. And there were a couple (in their seventies) burning brush in the middle of the clearing. I walked over and told them my parents used to own this property and the man said "Oh, is your name McClure?" They turned out to be the people, Jack and Helen Norman, that my parents had sold the property to decades ago. I told them our motorhome was parked out on the road, and the woman said "Bring it in and stay for a few days!
 
She said "I have a pot of stew cooking, and we can bring it out and have supper here while we watch the fire." And that's what we did.
 
They have a beautiful home looking out over the lake, and several other buildings including a big garage with living quarters rented out above it.
 
And Mrs Norman just loves her horse. While we were standing around she got me to hold on to it while she brushed it and cleaned the bottoms of it's hooves. And it got along really well with Tanner; they sniffed each other's noses, and I'm mad because I didn't get a picture of that.
 
So, we are parked out by their garage (N46 22 47.1, W79 23 23.8) for the night, and we plugged in to an electrical outlet. So we were able to run our heater, which saved running our propane funace (which we avoid if we can), because it is cold around here at night - near freezing! Notice just through the trees, beside the house and in front of the lake, there is a patch of snow on the ground.
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like a lovely time! Pretty amazing how God worked all that out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to recognize the 4-Mile Lake property! Very interesting to see how it looks now. And how great that the people were welcoming and you got to stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought I would ever sleep at Four Mile Lake again in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been a very special time!

    ReplyDelete