With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Monday, 5 February 2018

"President McClure Calling"

I mentioned yesterday about the dry landscape ready for a big fire. Here is the fire pit in our campsite. It is locked up tight, and looks like it has never been used!
 
And here is a close up of the tinder dry foliage that covers the surrounding hills.
 
After leaving camp this morning we made our way just a short half hour drive to the Richard Nixon Presidential Library. We had previously visited the Ronald Regan Library in Simi Valley, on the NW side of Los Angeles, and the George H.W. Bush Library in Collage Station, Texas. I really enjoyed these tours, so while we were nearby I thought we should visit this third library.
 
 
Click on all images to enlarge
 
And here is the man himself right inside the entrance to the building.
 
Now, if you click on my post of 28th March 2014, you'll see a distinguished president sitting, talking on the phone, behind the desk in the Oval Office. Well, here is the same one again sitting in the same place today!
 
And here I am when I was grand marshal of the Tournament of Roses, back in those days, and I allowed President and Mrs Nixon to ride along.
 
It's hard to believe that Nixon won all those red states back in 1972!
 
Here are the beautiful grounds in behind the Library/museum.
 
And just behind that is Richard Nixon's birthplace and home.
 
Doreen gave up at that point, when I went to tour though the presidential helicopter!
 
After several hours of touring around this place, we set off into the freeway jungle, and traveled for a little over an hour to Dripping Spring Campground (N33 27 39.4, W116 58 18.1), a small site operated by the US Forrest Service. And here is Doreen stuffing her mouth full of Cheez-its (I'm not sure I've mentioned this, but you can't buy these in Canada)!
 
There was no problem at this campground with having a camp fire.
 

1 comment:

  1. ....all caught up and looking forward to more updates. I’m just eating some Doritos Zesty Cheese Chips (which are VERY TASTY but wondering if they are as good as Cheeze-It’s but might never know cause we can’t get them here in Canada (unless Miss Travalier can see her way to import some across the boarder. Luv U guys - great to hear of your travels. Much love T&S

    ReplyDelete