With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Tuesday, 20 February 2018

Northward Bound

I woke up at about 4am, and remembered that I was going to let the water run a little to keep the hose from freezing, but of course I had a senior's moment when I went to bed, and forgot. I got up and checked the kitchen tap, and sure enough, no water came out! I noticed in the morning, the guy next door had the same problem. Instead of trying to fix things though, he just junked his hose in the garbage! Since we had electricity, we had hot water, of course. So first thing, I unhooked the hose, and poured hot water on the faucet outside until water finally came out. Then I brought the hose inside, and turned up the heat inside Miss Travelaire until the hose thawed out. It took perhaps a half hour. This is the second time this has happened; you'd think I would learn!
 
Even with all this activity, we still managed to get away at 8:15am, and we had a beautiful sunny day all day, even though it started out very cold. We headed pretty much due west along route 58 through Bakersfield to Internet 5, and then north on 5 for the rest of the driving day. We landed in at Los Reis Regional Park just on the south side of Stockton at about 2:45pm, a distance of about 320 miles, which is pretty far for us. As I turned onto the road into the park, I realized we had been here before, and sure enough, I recorded that previous stay in my blog post of 22 February 2016. This campground is next to the San Joquin River, and along between the river and the campground is a dyke that is about 20 or 25 feet high. I took this photo of our campsite from up top of the dyke.
 
 
Here is the river from up on the dyke.
 
 
We sat out in the beautiful sunny day and had our afternoon snack. (This is very important because you can't have snacks just like this in Canada!). It was actually pleasantly warm for a couple of hours before the sun went down.
 
This is another picture showing our campsite with the dyke in the background.
 
It is always an adventure to have a shower in a campsite. You never know how it will turn out. Doreen went for it, and it was the weirdest shower yet. The shower nozzle is mounted on the ceiling! And there was no adjustment for temperature; the water came out almost scalding hot. She seemed to manage ok, though, without getting overly angry!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment