Not only does this look like Afghanistan, it sounds like it too. For most of the waking hours yesterday and today, there have been gun shots going off over by the mountains. You'd wonder how anyone could have so much ammunition! This close up picture shows what the ground around here looks like. I'd hate to be here if it were raining! It would be worse than the property around our house at Meadowbrook!
First thing this morning Doreen was out the door sitting in the sun!
While she was sun bathing, I decided to go for a little walk, and walked across the dry lake bed. This picture was taken at the edge of the barren part before I got to some vegetation by the mountains. Miss Travelaire is the white dot right in the middle of the picture.
I walked up a road part way. One portion of this road was sand just like the sand on a beautiful beach. It's amazing the number of sand roads all over these hills!
Part way up, I took this picture which shows the base of the mountain that has some vegetation, and the large barren area where Miss Travelaire is parked. She is right in the center of the picture, although hard to see.
This picture is from as far up as I went. Miss Travelaire is right at the point of the red arrow I've drawn.
Meanwhile, down below, Doreen was out sunbathing :) The red arrow shows the point from which I took that last picture. Doreen was satisfied with just sticking around here today, so that's what we've done, just relaxing in the sun. (The AT&T signal is really good here too!)
Here's a google map screen shot of the area where we are camped. The blue dot is Miss Travelaire's location. The red arrow is the hill where I climbed to this morning. And down and to the left is a field of solar panels. The distance from the top to the bottom of this array is exactly one mile. I estimated there are over 1000 solar panels there.
It has gotten really windy as the day progressed today. When we came here yesterday, there was this small tent next door, and we've seen no one there. As the wind picked up, I thought, that tent is probably not going to make it. And sure enough, away it went. The black thing on the left is just a plastic tarp that was underneath. The tent was held down by some pieces of firewood, but that wasn't enough. Eventually, it blew past another camper, and was rescued, but I don't know whether it will ever end up back to its original owner or not.
The sunset wasn't like last night since there were few clouds in the sky. But it was pretty anyway, with the crescent moon setting in the west.
You could see the earth shine on the moon really well tonight. The whole moon is lit up by light reflected from the earth.
Where exactly are you?
ReplyDeleteI listed the coordinates in Saturday's post. We are just a little NW of Yucca Valley, California
Delete