With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Next Port: Ensenada, Mexico

I was up shortly after 7 am, as I could hear the ship's engines making docking noises. I was soon out on deck to watch as we eased our way into the pier at Ensenada, Mexico, and got tied to shore. This was quite a bit bigger place than I had imagined, and the town is spread out up over multiple hill tops.
 
After finally getting Doreen up, at about 9:45, and the usual scrumptious breakfast, we baked in the sun for awhile in Doreen's favorite spot, the Serenity Lounge.
 
I had booked a tour to go into the shopping district. It looked from the boat like a long walk to get anywhere, so I thought a tour was the best bet. Doreen is getting ready to board the tour bus.
 
The tour guide, a hefty Mexican fellow, was a little hard to understand at times, but did a good job.
 
He took us first to what was originally a casino back in the 1920s, when Prohibition was going on in the USA. All the movie stars and people like Al Capone used to come down to this place at the time. But later on, it went out of business, fell into disrepair, and the restored again.
 
The inside had quite decorative woodwork.
 
After visiting a winery (at least the place in town where they bottled and sold the wine), they dropped us off downtown in the shopping area, and we wandered around for an hour or so.
 
Doreen, of course, was into the shopping, but she was soon worn out by the aggressive nature of the shop keepers who put her off so much that she didn't buy anything. Doreen had never before been in this type of shopping environment like you find in Mexico or South America, and she was not impressed.
 
Passing by one street, we could see the ship quite close by. As it turned out, it wouldn't have been too far to walk instead of going on this tour, but you win some and you lose some.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment