It was a pleasant night with warm temperatures for sleeping. Doreen cooked a great breakfast of sausage and eggs this morning! After breakfast , I went for a swim in the pool. I couldn't get Doreen to come in, but she was there to take the pictures.
It was a nice pool with temperatures just right, and the hot tub was great. They had pipes spewing out steam around the hot tub, I guess for effect?
Our spot was right at the entrance to the RV park, not the best, but it was ok.
The park is full of nice palm trees.
The GPS lady took us right through the center of Las Vegas. But the traffic was fine. We continued on down Intertate 15. This interstate is actually quite smooth; it was great, and we cruised along for a couple of hours to a remote BLM (government) campsite off the highway. It is called Afton Canyon Campground (N35 02 18.9, W116 23 00.5), and is about 3 1/2 miles down a dirt road. Now this is about the limit for Doreen on a gravel road before she starts screaming! She was sure I lied to her about how far it was! But we made it to this lovely spot that, even with it's remoteness, has beautiful picnic tables and shelters and fire pits and outhouses.
There's a railway track going by the campground, and this picture shows the bridge over the "river". The river doesn't seem to have any water in it though! There aren't too many trains going by. The ones that do seem to consist mostly of oil cars. Some of the people here and on the reviews on the internet seem concerned about train noise, but this doesn't bother Doreen and me at all.
There was a fellow who arrived about the same time as us, who we got talking to. He is a member of a hiking group (the Sierra Club), and he was waiting for all his group members to arrive. They are going on a hike tomorrow morning, and invited us to come if we wanted. But I doubt I can get Doreen to go, so we'll see.







No comments:
Post a Comment