With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Saturday, 26 November 2011

Back to Southern Arizona

In was back into the 30s Fahrenheit last night - always cool nights in the desert.  Doreen woke me up at 7am to put the heater on and get things warmed up for coffee!  It was a pretty uneventful day just rolling along I-10, battling with the wind across the road, stopping at check points to make sure we weren't illegal Mexicans, and crossing into Southern Arizona, an area we've been to numerous times in the past (and, I lived in this area for a year and a half back in 1968).  We crossed the Continental Divide again, so it's all downhill from here on.  As usual for this area, there was not a cloud in the sky all day.  We stopped for the night at Kartchner Caverns State Park - not because of the caverns, but just for a campsite.  This is real desert country now.....


......although there aren't any of the big Saguaro cacti yet.  As the sun went down, the mountains were crisp on the horizon, and the crescent moon and Venus were together just above them (you folks in the city wouldn't have noticed that!).  It was a pretty sight, but I was too late to get a good picture - I would have needed a tripod, and a long exposure.

27 November, Sunday

We just drove down the road about 25 miles to Sierra Vista for 9:30am (10:30 on the central time we've been used to) church service at a PCA church.  After church we drove on through Tucson, and out the "Ajo Way", which goes directly west from Tucson.  I've driven out this road probably a hundred times, because it goes past Kitt Peak National Observatory where I've spent many a night using the telescopes.  I'd never driven beyond the observatory though, as far as I can remember, and once you get past it, you can see all the telescopes (probably a dozen of them) lined up along the top of the mountain.  We went to the Hickiwan Trails RV Park (N32 14 35.6, W112 43 24.4) a little before the town of Ajo.

No comments:

Post a Comment