But not too far along, we stopped at a Best Buy store to buy a cable for our GPS. A few days ago we were driving along and the little lady inside our GPS quit talking to us. I don't know if she was mad at us for something or what, but she didn't say a word to us from then on. No matter what I did, I couldn't get her to speak up. After being used to her chatting with us, we really missed her, and I missed several turns because of it. Now I have a whole bunch of electronic gadgets on board - camera, iphone etc. etc. - and each one of them has at least one cable to connect to power, computers etc. Which one did I forget at home? - the GPS cable of course. I figured that I needed to feed the lady with some new software to get her to talk to us, so we forked out 14 bucks and got a new cable, then searched around for a WiFi hotspot and downloaded the new software. That made her really happy, and she's be conversing with us ever since.
We drove straight south through Delaware, Maryland, and into Virginia on that long peninsula that goes down the west side of Chesapeake Bay, to Nina and Jim's other property that is on the water on Chesapeake Bay. It is a beautiful place - reminds us of Quatsino, except they built a beautiful house there, and they do lots of fishing and boating there. We pulled in and camped in their yard for the night (N37 36 53.5 W75 52 27.4); we were there alone - some of the kids were there earlier but had left before we arrived:
It was a beautiful evening, and we sat out by the motorhome and watched a beautiful sunset through the trees and over the water:
9 November, Wednesday
We sat out again this morning and watched as the fog was lifting over the water, so we didn't get going until about 10am. We had another hour drive or so down to the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel system, where you are either on a bridge or in a tunnel for about a 20 mile stretch to get across into Norfolk, Virginia. Here's a couple of pictures of parts of the bridge:
Jim says they sometimes go down in their boat and fish in between the two spans of the bridge because the fish like all the structure of the bridge. We had a nice clear view for about half the span, and then it fogged in, so we saw very little from then on in to Norfolk.
We have headed due west across the lower part of Virginia on a nice 4 lane road (route 58) which has minimal traffic so we could cruise along at a nice pace without bothering any one - and it's smooth too!
Hi Grandma and Grandpa, we are excited to read your blog and see your pictures! My favourite is the sunset picture.
ReplyDeleteLove Fiona
and Andrew and Dominic and Mummy