With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Saturday, 22 October 2011

Changing Directions?

Doreen is not feeling good and wants to go home.  So, I decided we'd better change directions.  I don't want to head back the way we came, because the weather could change at any time, and we would be having snow in the mountain passes.  So I decided to head a bit south, and try to get through the mountains into California via New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada.  We were fairly late leaving Walmart, but we headed on down through southern Colorado and into New Mexico to Cimarron Canyon State Park, and got there in a reasonable hour.  It was just a small campground, and there was no trouble finding a spot.  All the public campgrounds have self registration - you just put your money in an envelope and drop it in a box - there is no  personnel there at this time of year.  The odd thing about this New Mexico State Campground is that as well as the $10 fee it said you needed an annual pass, which costs over $200 (with dire warnings of fines if you didn't pay).  That just didn't seem right, so I paid the $10, and hoped for the best.

23 October Sunday

Well we managed to leave in the morning without any knock on the door wanting to collect $200!  In fact, I told Doreen I wanted to get going early, and she got up with no problem at all.  We were fairly near Taos, New Mexico, and I had planned to stop in there and look around, and then not go to far today.  I knew Doreen would like this place because the whole centre of town is just like Government Street in Victoria except with all Mexican style buildings.  We got the motorhome parked and walked around looking at all the shops for awhile, and Doreen really had a good time.

It's a little hard to see Doreen (with Tanner) in this picture, but you can see the Mexican style shops.

We went on then to a private campground called Little Creel Resort at Chama, because we wanted a place to have showers and do a laundry.  It also has WiFi access, so I can update the Blog!


We heard the last couple of days that Doreen's brother Glen was very sick, and today Nina called and told us he has cancer.  Doreen having had a good day today is now wondering if, after all, we should go on east so she can go and see Glen!  It is so hard to get Doreen to make up her mind, so I really don't know what to do tomorrow morning.  I'll just have to see how she feels in the morning as to which way to head.

There is a storm coming in which is supposed to arrive in these parts Sometime late Tuesday.  We have to be out of these high altitudes before then, one way or the other, because the mountain passes will be all snowed in.

2 comments:

  1. Well...that's really hard news to hear I sure hop mom gets a chance to visit, it sounds like she wants to. I hope he's not in too much pain, it sounds awful. Naomi & I will pray for you all, and hope you make it ok if all goes well. Naomi says hi:)

    Love,
    Alex & Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you guys should go for it !! I'm glad you had fun there today! Love you guys
    Eric, Sarah and clan

    ReplyDelete