With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Monday, 29 January 2018

The GPS Lady Quit :(

For the second morning in a row, Doreen woke up, looked at her watch and announced the time as an hour later than it actually was. So we were both up early again this morning, which is getting to be more than a habit.
 
 
Here is the sum total of the night's Walmart campers: two RVs huddled up with a Walmart truck. Something we've noticed lately, the last few times we've camped at Walmart: there doesn't seem to be any security guy roaming the parking lot. Something I've always liked is the comfort of a vehicle with a flashing orange light on top and a secuity guy inside traveling to and fro about the lot all throughout the night. I wonder if Walmart is cutting down on security, or if we just happen to be camping in less problematic neighbourhoods lately.
 
Next to Walmart there was another huge store named "Jerry's". I'd never seen one of these before. It is the same sort of thing as a Home Depot, except it seemed a lot more junky and congested inside. Since things seemed packed closer together, it must actually have considerably more stuff than Home Depot or Lowes. And they had a separate huge building for lumber. I just looked them up on the internet: they just have two stores, both in the Eugene, OR area!
 
We seemed to be slow getting away this morning considering the time we got up, as we didn't pull away until about 8:15am. The first order of business was to look up an AT&T store to try to convince them to sell us some data time. Well, there was a line up of two or three people in front of me, so while I was waiting, I thought of possibly just trying to set up a new account (using their free WiFi) instead of renewing the account I already had. And, low and behold, that worked! And to top it off, they now give unlimited data time for the month instead of the 3GB that they used to, and for the same price!
 
 
 
After passing across the border we came to the California check point where they ask you if you have any fruit. All we had were a few apples, and those are ok. But the lady was so friendly, and talked to us for quite some time since there was no traffic behind us. She said we should stop at the next rest area because it was so pretty, and that we did, where I took these pictures of Doreen and Miss Travelaire.
 
A little further along the way, as we passed by Mount Shasta, I could not help but stop and take my usual picture of the mountain. The reason was that you could actually see the whole mountain today. Almost always, the clouds are covering the mountain, and all you can see is the very lowest slopes.
 
It was at this stop that our GPS lady quit. She just packed it up, turned out the lights, and we never heard from her or saw her little maps again. I was sure glad we got that unlimited data time from AT&T, because we were able to carry on using the Google lady on Google Maps on our iPad. Don't like the way this lady yells her commands at us though. She just doesn't seem as nice. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the Apple lady.
 
We didn't figure there was any use paying for a campsite in the high elevation, when all we would do is spend the time indoors out of the cold. So, we went on down some considerable extra miles to a Walmart in the city of Red Bluff (N40 09 40.68, W122 14 05.28). We had to pass on a couple of other Walmarts where the towns don't allow overnight parking.
 

1 comment:

  1. We are a week behind Miss Travalier’s updates but looking forward to catching up. Doreen looks great (not sure how Robert looks)

    ReplyDelete