With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

With Harley, and Miss Travelaire

Friday, 14 February 2014

Miss Travelaire Had Her Hooves Shod Today

Miss Travelaire and I rode a couple of blocks over to Kal Tire today, where she had new shoes fitted. Those Michelin shoes are not cheap, I'll tell you! And unlike for a horse, there are six of 'em! Her old ones didn't look bad, but everywhere I read, it said you should not run tires older than six years, and Miss Travelaire's were her originals. The date stamp on the sidewalls indicates they are just over 10 years old. This is a typical situation for motorhomes, where mileage is usually pretty low for their age.

I had almost given up on getting her new tires. After going to West Coast Tire, the place out near Sooke where I usually buy tires, they told me they didn't have any Michelins that size, and Michelin didn't have any in Canada. I was fairly set on buying Michelins the same as were on the motorhome originally. I got the same story at Costco and at Kal Tire, just up the road from us. But then a week or so later Kal Tire informed me that Michelin told them they now had tires, and they had ordered some for me (sounded pretty strange, and I was a little worried they might have found some old stock that had been sitting around for several years!)

Click on all images to enlarge
That was about a month ago, and I had pretty much given up, thinking that the old tires were fine, and I could always stop at a Costco along the way in the States, and have Miss Travelaire refitted. Then low and behold, if Kal Tire didn't phone yesterday and say my tires were in!

And, when we went there today, I had a look at them and the date stamp was 0114, the first week of 2014. You couldn't get more than about a month newer than that I would think!
So there you go, Miss Travelaire is now sitting out there in the garage proud as could be, sporting her brand new shoes, and just chomp'n at the bit to get galloping down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment